Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quick Update - 2 Months

A Quick News-Flash

Tonight marks just over two months since the low-A oboe arrived. I now feel that the oboe is broken in and have begun playing it in rehearsals and while teaching lessons. My two students this evening seemed very intrigued by the extension as we compared instrument lengths. At first, I heard the standard argument "but oboe music doesn't go down to 'A'"; I gave an abridged response to that statement. Interestingly, one student told me about a "really cool note on the oboe" that she had discovered (a standard multi-phonic) and inquired if people ever wrote music using that sound. When I replied that there certainly was literature that utilized multi-phonics and much more in terms of extended techniques, she was thrilled and wanted to hear what that music sounded like. 
I can't think of a better way to start off a lesson..

No comments:

Post a Comment